Sunday, May 24, 2009

The GIBRALTAR


The Gibraltar is probably the nicest English pub in San Telmo, with it's dark wood, draft ales, plethora of whiskeys and traditional English grub. But like so many other impersonators, The Gibraltar just falls short of the originals it tries so hard to replicate. However, The Gibraltar cannot be blamed entirely for its shortcomings because (although I know a lot of people who would disagree) the English cuisine is a delicacy that needs to meet exact specifications in order to be recognizable. Beans on toast? Only if they're Heinz. Binoffe pie? It better have a thick layer of gooey toffee in the middle.
It was nice to order these things, and if I had no prior knowledge of what an English breakfast or a binoffe pie is supposed to taste like I would've still loved every bite. It's just that if you go to The Gibraltar looking for a piece of England, remember that the real thing is far better than the knock-off.
One thing that was an exact tranferance was the Manc-y bartender whose idea of a good joke is this:
"I've been married three times you know."
Me: "Oh wow, really?"
"Yeah, my first wife died from eating poisoned mushrooms."
Me: "That's bizarre."
"Yeah, then my second wife died from eating poisoned mushrooms too."
Me: "Oh my God, what?"
"And then I beat the third wife to death because she wouldn't eat the poisoned mushrooms"
Me: (I didn't understand a word of his punchline through his heavy accent, but he was laughing so I figured it was a joke I hadn't picked up on. Graham later told me the punchline and I swallowed the last quarter of my cider in two gulps and booked it out of there).

The Gibraltar, Peru 895 y Estados Unidos, San Telmo, Buenos Aires

No comments:

Post a Comment