Saturday, March 21, 2009

Pastry Shop Creeper

One of my favorite things to do abroad is to sample the local cuisine and I hardly miss an opportunity to do so, especially when it comes to amazing sweets and pastries. The downside of this obsession is that I've gained a noticeable amount of weight since I've been here and recently suffered through a week of mental anguish before I decided that I needed to cut back a bit. Yesterday was my first real day of dieting and the first day always seems to be the hardest. It's as if everywhere you look there's a new pastry shop, or ice cream store, or pasta place where the day before there had been none. This was the situation last night when Graham and I walked by this pastry shop after dinner. We walked up to it, the window was all aglow and beckoning me to feast my eyes upon its bounty. Macaroons of every color sat in the display case, carrot cakes crouched under the weight of a cream cheese icing spread fiendishly thick, packaged cookies of different varieties lined the opposite wall. My hand unconsciously pressed up against the glass and I was leaving a cloud of vapor on the window with my breath. Suddenly the shopkeeper came out from the back of the store and saw me standing there. (The moment pictured above.) Caught off guard I gasped and jumped off his door step, ashamed that he had caught me salivating on his glass window. He strode towards the door quickly and I thought I was about to get into trouble, and I think Graham picked up on this because he put down his camera and we both started backing away from the shop. The guy unlocked the door and said "It's okay, you can take pictures, would you like to come in?" Graham said sure and I followed behind him sheepishly, still embarrassed.

Inside was even better than looking in from the outside. Afraid of what I might do I stood against the back wall with my hands behind my back while Graham perused the counter, and to my chagrin/delight, he bought a macaroon in every color.

1 comment:

  1. macaroons are my weakness!! well...anything sweet really. i can't wait to taste all the macaroons at laudree in paris when i go in may! woooo!

    ReplyDelete