Thursday, March 5, 2009

Mercado de Las Pulgas

"Market of the Fleas" aka Flea Market is the most cluttered treasure trove of cast-aways, antiques, junk and gems in Palermo. From wonky-eyed dolls to pink glass and silver sets everything I never knew I wanted is here. I'm now determined to find out how much it'd cost to send a chaise-lounge back home to replace the one my cousin ruined by writing "Alex Sucks" on it. At times you have to suck in your stomach to make your way through tight corridors lined with furniture upon furniture upon furniture about to topple in on you. OSHA would have a field day here, it's every workplace safety violation under the sun, with jigsaws strewn about here and there for restoration done on the premises, vendors napping in their stalls and a mangy dog poking about. And best of all the vendors are open to bargaining, put best by the vendoress blasting opera "I bring the price down... but not a lot!".




Mercado de Las Pulgas: Niceto Vega block 200 entre Dorrego y Concepcion Arenales


2 comments:

  1. You little terd! Where have you run off to now?! haha I'm loving your blog so far, and your photos add a nice atmosphere to help me imagine all your adventures! I'm so glad you're doing this, you best believe I'll be reading it. I'm so excited for you, keep us all "posted". And in your spare time, read the story of Mr. Visserplein (an ongoign saga my brother and I are working on). I can assure you he is with you every day watching over you. :-) http://mrvisserplein.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I put my username as Mr. Visserplein when I was signing up for the blog - but do not be fooled, it's SHERI!!!!!

    ReplyDelete