Thursday, July 30, 2009

MATILDA'S

It's hard to find a really good cafe latte in this city. Even though the ingredients are the same, the cafe con leche just doesn't hold up in comparison. In fact, cafe lattes aren't the only things I've been craving; bagels and bagel sandwiches, salad wraps, carrot cake, cup cakes and muligatawny soup have all been the objects of my desires at one point or another over the past six months. Never in my wildest cravings did I ever imagine I'd find a place that has it all, but I did and my only regret is not having found it sooner.
Matilda's is a tiny cafe, about the size of a walk-in closet that always seems to be full of people. The seating is limited to a banquette and a couple of stools but that doesn't dissuade people from standing around and soaking up the atmosphere. It's hard to put a finger on Matilda's style, the walls are papered in red, white and blue florals and stripes that give the impression of 4th of July Americana, but the presence of muligitawny soup... its got to be English.
The proprietors set out a new batch of cup cakes, cookies, muffins and cakes every day, as well as make fresh sandwiches, wraps and soups to order. Their coffee is divine and anyone feeling a little homesick, whether home is America or England, would feel well satisfied after a visit to Matilda's.



Matilda's
Chile 673
San Telmo, Buenos Aires

3 comments:

  1. Good Bye, Matilda. New adventures on the horizon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to tasting the bagels and the carrot cake this weekend... can't believe a place like this existed and I hadn't even heard of it!
    And by the way, I discovered your blog today and just loved it. You made it straight to my favorites !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled upon this place today, what a pleasant surprise ! As I was in a hurry, I just took a couple of pics and bought scons ... definitely a place to come back to !
    m. laura -

    ReplyDelete