Thursday, June 25, 2009

Politicos on Parade

Congressional elections are coming up this Sunday and for the past two weeks the city has been literally littered with political campaigning. I guess we're not so heavy into campaigning through posters in the US or the UK because those are what struck me the most about these past two weeks. It must be because I'm not used to them, but I find them utterly hilarious and sometimes ridiculous. Because of the heavy poster campaigning that's been going on I've gotten very interested in this election and have grilled some of my students on the particulars.
For instance, did you know that congressional elections in Buenos Aires are supposed to be held in September, but this year the government has moved them up to June without a clear explanation. Speculation states that it's because Argentina has been relatively untouched by the global economic crisis and that the incumbent government wants to take advantage of this fact so that they can get voted back in while the people are still thinking of them favorably. Which begs the question: What does the government suppose (or more likely know) is going to happen between now and September that will likely change the way the populace views them? Fishy stuff, but this is Argentina so no one seems too upset by the government's subversive tactics.
Secondly, it's illegal not to vote in Argentina for everyone over the age of 18. Although no one ever has, you could be thrown in jail for years if punished to the full extent of the law. However, the typical punishment is just a ticket (boring). The only people who are exempt from voting are those over the age of 80, those who are seriously ill or mentally handicapped, and anyone else who lives more than 500 kilometers from the nearest polling station in a major city; bad luck to everyone else who lives 499 kilometers away.
Thirdly, to ensure that everyone makes the right decision, the government forbids all campaigning to continue once the elections are no more than three days away. This allows the voters to really think about the content of the politician's ideas and their message, not just how attractive or unattractive he or she may be. And to make sure you don't get drunk the night before and sleep through the elections or drunkenly tick the wrong box, restaurants and stores are not allowed to sell or distribute alcohol Saturday night starting at midnight. Clearly the government really, really wants you to make a well-informed and clear-headed decision since you're being forced to anyway.
Although I appreciate the freedom of choice you're granted in the US and UK not to vote I've decided to hold my own elections based on the campaign posters (which is consequently how I used to vote for student government in high school).

MOST AMBITIOUS:
For obvious reasons; because his name is Prat Gay! Although 99% of Argentines probably have no idea or care about how ridiculous his name is, I still think 'Good on him for not being crippled by the cruelty of his parents'. However, he is a bit of a creeper, he's the one with both hands on Gil's shoulders. He's an ambitious creeper.

MOST DIABOLICAL:
Clearly this man does not have an image consultant, or at least someone close enough to him to tell him that by cocking his chin down he's making his balding forehead appear bigger and projecting a menacing look. I included the party group shot because I particularly like how everyone else is linking arms and it appears that he has just busted into the middle of the chain and stuck his arms through the other two's. I bet the rest of the group don't even like him.

MOST CROTCHETY-LOOKING:
Pino is a famous Argentine director, and I don't know what his deal or his party is about but I love love love that in his solo shots he couldn't break a smile! His wrinkled forehead, bushy, arched eyebrows and thin mouth all communicate to me that this is a man who doesn't like his tea too hot, his meat too chewy, or his women too chatty. I included his group shot because he has a horrendous smile that kind of makes him look like Wallace from "Wallace and Gromit".

BEST GROUP SHOT:
I like this group shot the best because in all honestly, I probably could've made it, and I only know how to use the crop tool. Plus, the guy standing behind and to the left of the main guy in the center front is so pissed to be there and he doesn't care who knows it. Me gusto mucho.

BEST POSTER CAMPAIGN:
These were the first posters I started noticing around town because they were everywhere and I had no idea what they were for. The play sign made me think she was a recording artist with a new album out and it almost made me do a search on Google to see if she was any good. Points for intrigue.

Then these posters came out last week and finally, a face to a name! I don't mean to sound catty or overly critical, but I figured out pretty quickly by her looks that she wasn't a recording artist. But for a political campaign I thought this was immensely clever, introducing first her name, then her face, putting a face to a name, it's something subtle and it sticks with you. I get a kick out of it every time.

Then this poster came out a few days ago and I don't have a clue to who the hell he is. Clearly he's not Gabriela Michetti so what's his face doing on her poster? In all likelihood he's probably a part of her party so why not put his name next to his face? This has been really bothering me but I'm still giving her the Best Campaign title due the fact that she's been able to cause me so much irritation with her posters. This is far more reaction than any of the other poster campaigns have elicited from me, so kudos to the Michetti campaign manager.


This picture is just intended to demonstrate the fervor with which posters have been going up, being pulled down and pasted over. There's much more where this came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment